Enjoying Sweetness and Weight Loss Maintaining your weight is all about balance
“Weight loss is also about positive thinking – your mind is the most important tool when losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.”
Nearly two thirds of people are overweight or obese putting themselves at risk of type 2 diabetes, cancer, heart disease, depression and osteoarthritis. Excess weight is caused by excess calories so both exercise and calorie restriction are needed to fix this problem. Sugar reduction is a part of this.
There are more different diets on offer than ever- paleo, 5:2, low carb, alkaline, meal replacement, cabbage soup and so on…. yet the population is getting fatter. Most diets work for a while as the underlying ‘secret’ is they reduce calorie intake. We all know that eating less is the only way to lose weight. By reducing calories, we will get slimmer and, especially coupled with increased exercise we can get fitter too. However, we could put ourselves at risk from excluding specific foods or eating a limited range of foods.
Fed up with diets that don’t work or weight loss that falters? No time to weigh everything, prepare separate ‘diet’ meals or give up entre food groups in your quest to lose weight? If you don’t want to start yet another diet and are aiming for long term weight control and a healthy diet for life, by following a few simple steps you can enjoy your food, live life to the full and look and feel better.
“Mindful eating is all about focusing on your food and relishing what you’re eating”
Eat smart / cook smart / move smart
It’s about balance and portion control along with moving a bit more. It’s not rocket science but many people get into a lifestyle rut, want to get fitter but haven’t quite got around to it. It’s proven that a habit is formed if you repeat the behaviour for 21 days. This works for both bad habits and good – so by starting today, in just 3 weeks you’ll have established new, healthy habits you won’t want to break. Getting started is key, so there’s no better time than TODAY!
Mind over matter
Weight loss is also about positive thinking – your mind is the most important tool when losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. There are many different methods you can use to help you re-train your thinking and achieve your health goals. Find one that suits you and stick at it, you’ll reap the benefits for life.
Think about what you’re eating and don’t get distracted. Mindful eating is all about focusing on your food and relishing what you’re eating. During meals don’t watch tv or check your phone, research has shown you’re much more likely to overeat and will snack more between meals if you don’t pay attention to your food.
- Lean protein such as fish or chicken to speed metabolism and promote fullness
- Omega-rich oily fish to aid weight loss and help your heart, bones and skin
- Dairy foods to increase metabolism and stabilize blood sugar
- Raw, crunchy foods that need chewing so you feel you’ve eaten more, such as crudités or just a fresh apple
- A few nuts or seeds to help you feel full and even boost your mood
- Whole grains such as brown rice or whole meal pasta, to ward off hunger and help stabilise blood sugar, keeping you feeling full longer
- Include beans and pulses in your repertoire for a low-fat protein diet full of fibre, vitamins and minerals
- Diet drinks and sweeteners can play an important part in aiding weight control by helping to avoid unwanted extra calories from sugar